An investment or a unique family home? In this medieval house in the Castle of Monemvasia there is today a wine bar and a rental apartment but it all started with a longing for a unique holiday home in a unique place! "It does not matter where you are, you are nowhere compared to where you can go." - Bob Proctor
Property ID: EKJ1819, Castro, Monemvasia, Lakonia, Peloponnese
This fantastic house was bought in 1964 and restored from ruins in 1972. The owners used the tower as a holiday home until 2001. They also lived permanently in the house for a couple of years and from 2011 the house was converted into a wine bar and rental business. The house, or rather the tower is located in the Byzantine fortress Monemvasia. The tower has 3 floors:
- The top floor is today a popular and appreciated AirBnB rental apartment with private bathroom. From this floor you have a view of the rooftops, the gardens, the fortress walls and the sea
- Downstairs is another bedroom with en suite bathroom and its own exit to the Byzantine city. This floor is also used today by AirBnB guests. Important: on this floor you can build a balcony. It took 30 years to get a permit and the buyer can take over the granted building permit
- The ground floor is reached via external stairs and here you will find the mezzanine, kitchen area and a large living room with exit to a small patio. Throughout this floor there is today a well-visited and reputable wine bar ”Byron's Wine Kamara.The wine bar offers not only wines but also stories from the past.
”If you are ever lucky enough to find yourself in the Kastro of Monemvasía be sure not to miss out the opportunity to visit the kamara run by Byron. It's off the beaten track but numerous signs will point you in the right direction. Here you can taste an amazing selection of local wines grown from ancient grape varieties and be regaled by stories of the wine and history of Monemvasia by the most elegant and multilingual host Byron who has traveled the world but found his spiritual home here. Sometimes you will also get to sample the amazing food his wife Vivienne provides. No visit to Monemvasía would be complete without this experience! ”. Quotes come from one of the grateful guests and posted on Tripadvisor.com in 2019. Here is the link to more reviewsDo you want to run a business in the house? There are all licenses to take over if you want to work as a cafe owner at Castle of Monemvasia. Both current owners live in Monemvasia and can help you with tips to take over and develop the business idea.
Other facts you should know about
- Price: 1100000 €, bids accepted
- Building year: probably around the 1000 A.D.
- Energy certificate: will be updated shortly
- Recent renovation: Total renovation 1970-72 and then ongoing maintenance work
- Livingspace: 160 sqm
- Note: the map does not indicate the exact location but only shows area!
Monemvasia, Peloponnese, Greece
Monemvasia in the Peloponnese is a fortified Byzantine small town located on a cliff in the sea, 400 meters from land. The peninsula is connected to the mainland by a headland of 200 meters and here you can both walk, eat and sleep. The city's name comes from two Greek words: "mone (mono)" and "emvasia (envasi)", which means "only one entrance". The city was founded in the 500th century and became a very important port for Mistras, among others, and remained under Byzantine rule for almost 700 years. The cliff is one of Greece's most impressive and famous landmarks.
From 1971, a bridge was built from the land, and it was the beginning of the city's "resurrection". This medieval settlement is thus inhabited again and it is surrounded by cozy alleys, cafes and small hotels. Please visit Event page in Monemvasia.